Wednesday, November 3, 2010

In my defense, I'm a Republican

Today one of our brides was in for lunch at the restaurant where I work.  She introduces herself and I told her I'd be working at her wedding on Sautrday and was looking forward to it.  Then I turn to her companion, an older lady who looked very familiar.  I go to a rather large church and so there are lots of people you see and recognize, but don't know by name.  About once a week, someone comes into the restaurant, looks at me and says, "Don't you go to Traders Point?"  So, making the (very dense) assumption she was probably from church, I turn to the second lady and say, "You look very familiar, do I know you?"

Why, oh why, can't I just keep my mouth shut???

She (very graciously) smiles and says, "I'm Judy O'Bannon" (aka former First Lady of the great state of Indiana).  Well duh, yeah, that would explain why she looked so familiar.  After I turn sixteen shades of red and trip all over myself trying to save what little dignity I might have left, she says, "Do you watch the show?"  Oops!  What show?  Mrs. O'Bannon has a show??  So of course, I had to say no - to my even greater humiliation.  Oy vey.  Fortunately she was very kind and gracious, but I was horrified over the whole ordeal - and relieved I would not be the one serving her.  At the rate I was going, I'd have ended up dumping soup in her lap.

PS - I looked it up and she has a show on PBS entitled Communities Building Community.  Guess what I'll be watching Thursday at 7:30pm?

No comments: