Sunday, December 12, 2010

Running in a Winter Wonderland

Surely now I can claim to be a real runner. I still can't run more than a few minutes without having to stop and walk, but surely going out today and running in a snow "storm" gets me a few points toward "official runner" status, right?


I have never been an athlete. Ever. (Those of you who've known me since 7th grade feel free to chime in and support this claim.  You were there.  You saw it.)  I was the only person in Fellowship of Christian Athletes who was not an athlete. I was the one who hated gym class because it drug down my GPA and it was so incredible humiliating. I was the kid who could not climb the rope or do a single pull-up when we did the President's Physical Fitness test.

But I love snow. Won't it be funny if winter is what turns me into a runner? I was so excited today at the thought of going running out in the snow, that I went out before I even ate lunch. (Which shows how stupid I can be, because I knew I needed something for energy, but was too impatient.) So I was so tired and in my walking intervals I was going really slow because I was enjoying the moment (and because I am notoriously horrible at negotiating slick surfaces and was slipping along - had I known it was easier to run on slick roads than walk on slick roads, I might have started running years ago). But I did it. I was the lady you would drive by and shake your head at the sight of. But I am now thinking that the people running in the snow are not as crazy as we non-runners have always believed. I mean, if you are going to be uncomfortable anyway, why not do it in beautiful, serene surroundings rather than in the heat and humidity of August?? Right?

Just amazed at how much I am loving winter running. (or winter wogging, actually) Which is good since there is a lot of training to do this winter if I want to actually run most of the Mini in May. Not that I wouldn't love it more if Santa would get me some warm running clothes, smart wool socks, and yak trax!

(And yes, this blog post has a record number of "I"s in it, but it is a "yeah me" post so that in the middle of February I can look back and have some encouragement.  Next time I will try to write from a less self-centered point of view)

No comments: