Friday, January 16, 2009

Daffodil Days

Today, on one of the coldest days in years, I went to the Daffodil Days Kickoff for the American Cancer Society. How fun to think about sunny spring flowers on such a chilly day! I love this fundraiser. If you haven't participated before, how it works is that you order a bunch of daffodils or a bunch with a vase, or a "Gift of Hope" where your donation purchases daffodils to be delivered to a local cancer patient. (Proceeds from all orders help fund vital ACS programs like Road to Recovery that provides rides to treatment for cancer patients.)
The fun part is that you get the daffodils and they are just these green stalks, and then BOOM!, next thing you know they are glorious yellow daffodils. It is so cool.
Last year, I felt bad because I encouraged a number of co-workers to order and told them about the lovely vases from previous years - and then the 2008 vases were green, a very spring-y green. Me, I love green, but I don't think it is what they were expecting. This year's vase (at least in our area) is purple (see below), what do you think of it? (I will have to put up a photo of some past years so you can see what I mean - although I think I broke one of the ones I really liked...)


No comments: