Thursday, January 6, 2011

I've Got the Music in Me

Had a pretty good training run today. It was crazy cold (did the whole "dress like it is 20 degrees warmer" thing and it was NOT working for me today) - BUT I had my tunes to keep me warm and motivated! (Plus it was snowing and even though it was little pellets instead of fluffy snowflakes, snow always makes me happy.)   UPDATE: the pellets have changed from pellets to beautiful big fluffy snowflakes and it is all I can do not to go back out - I LOVE to run when it is snowing!


I finally sat down and put together a play list to run to. I spent so much time on it this morning that I almost made the same error I did the other day and waited TOO long after I ate to run. But a quick snack cured all that. Plus it was worth the time and effort - the play list was a success!!

My current training schedule is run 3, walk 2, so I loaded my mp3 with a bunch of 2ish and 3ish minute songs and alternated them. Using the music to know when to switch was so much more fun that looking at my watch and I had a great time running with my tunes!! I know I am not supposed to increase my running time too much, but I did run a little longer because I got back home before my songs were done, so I added another quick loop.

So, what did I listen to? The list includes:
It's My Life - Bon Jovi (one of my faves, plus it reminds me of good times)
Movin' - Group 1 Crew
Holding Out for a Hero - Bonnie Tyler (which is actually like 5:41, but it makes you feel like Rocky (or Kevin Bacon) so how can you not include it?)
Shine - The Newsboys
Respect - Aretha Franklin
Believe - Amy Grant
Get Down - Audio Adrenaline

And a few other random ones, including some by The Lads, a Christian band from New Zealand that is actually geared toward kids and tweens, but that means their music is fun and great to dance to (read: jump up and down to).  And a Beatles tune which has got to go, but for now, it fits the length requirement.

Two things I noticed that I need to watch for:
1. Pushing my pace too fast to go with the song
2. Busting out the dance moves (don't want the neighbors to think I've gotten into the liquor)

Now I am ready to face the day with a smile on my face, a song in my heart, and some warmer socks!

No comments: